Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookie
I made this cookie on Jan 31, 2014. The last day of the month! John, Matt and I liked the cookie but don’t think Chris did because he only ate one. Philip didn’t stop by in time (he was given one day to get some) and David because he left to help with Riley, Caleb and Jesse.
These are a shortbread based cookie and go great with hot chocolate or nice proper tea. I followed the recipe but for future baking of these cookies I’ll add more than the 1/2 cup of cherries and make the cherries bigger chunks.
Cherry Chocolate Kisses
1 cup unsalted butter, softened, but still cool*****very important!
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons maraschino cherry “juice”
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling the cookies
however many milk chocolate kisses needed, unwrapped
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
3. Reduce the speed to the lowest setting and slowly add the powdered sugar and salt.
4. Add the cherry juice and the almond extract until combined.
5. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Increase the mixer speed to medium and add the cherries.
7. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, and place the balls on a baking sheet, approximately 2 inches apart.
8. Using your thumb, gently press each cookie in its center until the cookie is about 1/2-inch thick.
9. Sprinkle each cookie with a little granulated sugar.
10. Bake the cookies until the bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes.
11. Once removed from the oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie’s center.
12. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.